Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cleanse

Our lovely roommate Beth and Baker have decided to go on a pretty straight-forward intestinal cleanse for a week. No, not one of those no food, only drink cayenne-pepper-lemon-juice-water types of cleanses. Not only are our physically demanding waitressing lifestyles just not suited to that kind of dietary and caloric limitation, but I also happen to think that more than a couple of days of that isn't necessarily all that healthy. No, I have no science to back me up on this, it's just a personal thing.

The few simple rules: no gluten, no animal products, no sugar, no corn syrup, limited soy, no caffeine; however, yes - lots of vegetable juices, yes-raw fruits/veggies or steamed veggies, yes-rice cakes/corn chips, yes-buckwheat, yes-rice and other gluten-free grains, yes-unheated extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, yes-nuts. The focus here is on fiber.

Really this is pretty simple to follow. We started off the past two mornings by juicing. Beet, carrot, parsley and apple (no apple for me, obviously.) Other than that, I've had some prunes, corn chips with hummus, stewed greens, brown rice with a splash of organic soy sauce, pistachios, etc.

Beth is making asparagus lightly sauteed in coconut oil and I boiled up some buckwheat.

Five days to go.

1 comment:

  1. This all sounds great--if I only had somebody to fix all my meals for me! Otherwise, the thought of jumping into a whole 'nother way of eating, no matter how healthy, makes me tired just thinking about it!

    I notice that the list is similar to the anti-inflammation diet my parents have been on for a few months. (They do eat some animal products, primarily grass-fed beef and various kinds of seafood.) They both report vastly improved moods and energy levels, along with healthier body weights. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete