Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Goin' Bananas

On our way out the door, last time we visited my mother-in-law, she handed me a big bunch of aging bananas and five or so miniature loaf pans.


Sadly, when I greased my bread pan, my favorite recipe was nowhere to be found! Banana bread can be quite dense and oily inside and out. None of which sounds too appealing. The long gone, possibly amidst a mammoth paper pile recipe was light and mild flavored like a moist coffee cake. With buttermilk on hand, I found a recipe that seemed fluffy then added a crunchy top and threw in some sunflower seeds and a few almonds.

It turned out lovely with a crispy top and moist but not wet or oily interior and had a pretty good banana flavor. By the time I got around to taking a photo, it was more than half gone! My old recipe will never get chance to be found.
All that remains is to make the batter again and divide it among the small pans to be frozen and shared later.

Update: One regular-sized batch of banana bread makes 3 small ones. Here is a double batch:

No comments:

Post a Comment